Opportunity at The Seed Farm
Position Title: Field Manager
Reports to: Program Director
Location: Emmaus, PA
About The Seed Farm:
The Seed Farm is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is dedicated to cultivating the next generation of farmers. Working closely with partners such as Lehigh County and Penn State Extension, our organization trains new farmers and assists them in establishing sustainable farm businesses.
Since our first training season in 2010, Seed Farm training program graduates have gone on to start or manage thirteen local farms, and four farm businesses have been launched through our agricultural incubator. We are now seeking a year-round Field Manager to assist in the growing of vegetables and herbs, as well as upkeep and maintenance of our 42-acre site, equipment and infrastructure.
The Field Manager will report to the Program Director. Responsibilities include:
• Following the plans and direction of the Program Director in the management of 2.5-acre diversified vegetable farm, surrounding fields, incubator farm sites, and other infrastructure.
• Tractor work and maintenance, including tillage, weed cultivation, and mowing.
• Manual field work, not limited to hoeing, hand-weeding, irrigation set up and management, pest and disease management, etc.
• Harvest, washing, and packing for weekly market, CSA and wholesale accounts; delivery to CSA drop-off and wholesale accounts as needed
• Occasionally attend farmers’ market with Program Director or apprentices
• Oversee apprentices while they are in the field
• Assist Program Director with on-farm demonstrations and lessons
• Assist with on-farm workshops and field days as needed
• Occasionally mentor incubator farmers and apprentices
• Assist Program Director with winter tasks (planning, repairs, and supply ordering)
As The Seed Farm is an educational and working farm, the Field Manager can expect to engage with program participants, volunteers, and farm visitors of all ages.
Requirements: Two or more years of organic or low-input/sustainable vegetable production experience required. Solid tractor experience as related to diversified vegetable farming is required, as well as experience with greenhouse and high tunnel management, including plant propagation and season extension. Must be able to work independently, be very self-motivated and have a solid work ethic, with a sense of urgency toward farm work and a sense of humor. Must be able to take direction, as well as problem-solve independently. Must be able to work in any weather and lift over 50 lbs. Apprentice supervision/team leadership a plus. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation and holidays. This is a year-round position, with a seasonally variable work schedule. The Field Manager can expect to work approximately 15 hrs/wk in the winter, 30 hrs/wk in the spring, and 40 hrs/wk in the peak of the growing season. Daily schedule is somewhat flexible, but Saturday and/or Sunday availability is a must.
Please visit www.theseedfarm.org to learn more about our organization and our programs.
To apply: please send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to: Lindsey Parks, Executive Director. Email: Lindsey_Parks@theseedfarm.org. Phone: (610) 391-9583 x16
Information about this position can also be found on AgConnect’s Job Board.